Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Training

In the last few weeks I have gone through the most difficult part of my training for the Medals 4 Mettle Windy 2 Indy run. Yesterday, I did my second 80 mile workout in two weeks. I ran along the path on Chicago's lakefront. I go by one convenience store so often that the manager recognizes me as the "running man". Now every time I go in he says: "Mr. running man! How are you today!"



After I finished the Miami Marathon in January, my goal has been to train my body and mind for what it will take to run nearly 200 miles straight through. How does someone train to run 200 miles? As one might imagine, there isn't a lot research on the subject. I have read every scrap of information I could find in publications such as ultraRunning magazine and accounts I could find online of similar long distance endeavors, and have found that the approaches are varied at best.


I have developed my own program with the basic idea that in order to run a very long way, you need to run very long distances in training. So my goal has been to add as much mileage as I can without causing injury (I have had nagging problems with achiles tendonitis). So since February my weekly long run has gradually grown from 50 to 80 miles. My last two weeks were as follows (distances in miles unless noted):


Tuesday: 15

Wed: 4

Thursday: 6 X 1 mile repeats

Friday: Off

Saturday: 80 in 13.5 hrs

Sunday: Off

Monday: 10

Tues: 15

Wed: 10 x 800meter repeats

Thursday: 13.1

Friday 22

Sat: 22

Sunday: Off

Monday: 80 in 13.2 hours



Total mileage: 272



I like to take the day before and after the long run off. I have found that if i don't, the risk of injury goes way up.



Also, for the last few weeks, I have been focusing my weight training on the core: abs, lower back, quads, hamstring.



I think the training is paying off. My 80 mile run yesterday felt stronger than last week, and today I don't have any serious aches and pains. It really is amazing what the human body can get used too.


Donate today! Be sure to mention Medals 4 Mettle Windy to Indy on the donation page.

No comments: